Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Snapshot of the Morning

09/2001 E-mail excerpt

Abby: (cheerfully singing the butchered lyrics to a preschool song) “Looking out the window and who do I see? Chew-bac-ca, another friend for me!”
Ethan: “I’M GOING OUTSIDE!”
Jules: “Are you really planning to go outside in your underwear?”
Ethan, looking down in surprise: “Oh!” Runs to get shorts.
Abby (singing): “Looking out the window and who do I see? Chewbacca, another friend for me!
… Mom there’s something yucky and gross and stinky!”
Jules: “Where?”
Ethan, from the bedroom: “Mom! Gracie’s diaper STINKS!”
Abby: “Mama there’s something very yucky in here!”
Jules: “Is it Gracie?”
Abby: “No… (resumes singing) Looking out the window and who do I see, Chewbacca, another friend…”
I discover a pile of what may be dog vomit in the living room.
Jules: “Is this it? Does anyone know if Nikki threw up?”
Ethan darts out to examine it but begins to heave after taking a look.
Ethan (running away, covering his mouth): “I can’t -urp- look at it…”
I walk around the house checking for more. There’s a bad odor of something. “Do you know if it’s throw-up?” I realize I am asking the dog. She gives me the typical blank stare: Who are you again?
Abby: “Mama, Gracie is touching the yucky stuff!”

I quickly intervene. Gracie screams angrily. Ethan is still gagging in the background.
Abby: (singing cheerfully) “Looking out the window and who do I see? Chew-bac-ca, another friend for me!”


E-mail excerpts

No comments: