"Wow," she said, gazing at me with a combination of awe and pity. "So how's that going?"
"It's great!" I said enthusiastically, as Mira went careening into a shelf of books. "She's really something!"
We chatted for another ten seconds. "She's quite a whirlwind," my acquaintance commented.
At that point I was compelled to cut the conversation short to intervene in the Puppet Corner, where Mira had stolen a sippy cup from a tearful preschooler.
"Gotta go!"
Naturally, Mirabelle charmed this woman with her incredible cuteness, as she charmed the other friends she met. Yes, everyone adores Madame Baby! However, I did notice a theme emerge from these encounters, which I call will Baby Code Words.
If you've bought or sold a home, you know that certain adjectives used to describe properties are really code words. "Cozy" means tiny. "Vintage" means outdated. "Motivated seller" means desperate. Etc.
Likewise, I believe certain adjectives used to describe babies (well, my baby) are actually code words. Here's how I imagine Mira would translate these benign adjectives often ascribed to her:
Adjective: Active
Baby translation: "I will run, trip, spin, hurl and stumble precariously near sharp corners to see how many times in a minute I can make your heart stop"
Adjective: Inquisitive
Baby translation: "I will taste-test every potentially toxic item I can get my hands on"
Adjective: Athletic
Baby translation: "Let's see if I can throw this plate far enough to break it"
Adjective: A real pistol
Baby translation: "If I don't get what I want immediately I will explode. My shrieking will reach decibels that make the dog howl, and I will easily outlast your feigned calm with my anger"
Adjective: Busy
Baby translation: "Foolish woman! I will now undo all the straightening up you spent the last hour doing"
Adjective: Firecracker
Baby translation: "You will begin to age in dog years from chasing after me"
And now, some recent pictures of the whirling dervish and her sibs...





2 comments:
I couldn't help but think of this post when I saw Mira at the back to school parade - pure energy wrapped in an adorable package.
This reminds me of MY favorite euphemism... my neighbor, Julie, taught me to call Kate "spicy" rather than a lot of other descriptives that come to mind more quickly! :)
Post a Comment