Now that "Tubular" (see my last post) has her tubes and the rest of us no longer sound as garbly as Charlie Brown's teacher to her, I am eagerly awaiting a verbal explosion. So far she has added "ka-ka" ("quack quack"), "Babby" ("Abby") and "gawk" ("walk") to her short list of words.
She still relies heavily on her lone sentence, "Aw-nt dat" ("I want that"). This catch-all phrase is declared, whined and yelled throughout the day: Aw-nt dat! The rest of us jump to our feet trying to guess what "that" is: "You want to get down? You want your cup? Salad dressing? A steak knife? You want your bib off?"
"Aw-nt dat!"
OK, whatever.
Some of the hoarding children in our family still have Easter candy left. It seems those hoarders do not trust the non-hoarders to leave their stash alone. I noticed this bag of candy on the counter:

In case you can't read the message, it says, "If U Take, U Buy. I will know"
So you gotta ask yourself, WWJW (write)?
Va-cay
We decided back in the fall that our kids need to see the ocean in person, and the big trip is fast approaching. I don't expect it to be a rest-and-relaxation vacation, but that's not really our style, anyway. It should be... an adventure, beginning with Toddler on a Plane. We've been running to Target every other night, because everyone has managed to outgrow their summer clothes and shoes. Well, at least I already have a "tan" going - or possibly I look jaundiced. (There's a story involving a swim suit that's supposed to be "slimming" that was only available in black, my fish-belly-white winter skin and Jergen's Natural Glow lotion, which I liberally applied to my legs but not my feet for some reason, but I won't go into it. I've already said too much, haven't I? :-)
So you gotta ask yourself, WWJW (write)?
Va-cay
We decided back in the fall that our kids need to see the ocean in person, and the big trip is fast approaching. I don't expect it to be a rest-and-relaxation vacation, but that's not really our style, anyway. It should be... an adventure, beginning with Toddler on a Plane. We've been running to Target every other night, because everyone has managed to outgrow their summer clothes and shoes. Well, at least I already have a "tan" going - or possibly I look jaundiced. (There's a story involving a swim suit that's supposed to be "slimming" that was only available in black, my fish-belly-white winter skin and Jergen's Natural Glow lotion, which I liberally applied to my legs but not my feet for some reason, but I won't go into it. I've already said too much, haven't I? :-)
When did he get so big?
On one of our summer clothes shopping excursions, I had a jolting experience. I was talking to Ethan and suddenly realized we were eye to eye. When we compared our heights, he was about half an inch shorter than me. He'll pass me up by summer.
I suppose his size-12 shoes should have prepared me for the inevitable, and it's probably some sort of rite of passage for mothers with teenage sons, but when someone you carried from infancy is as big as you - it feels crazy. When I joked above about possibly looking jaundiced, I couldn't help but flash back almost 14 years, when we held a four-day-old Ethan in a sunny patch in our apartment, because his skin was a little yellow and the sunlight could help decrease the excess bilirubin or something. Wasn't that just yesterday?
Battle Creek
Here are a few pictures of the girls and Randy hiking last weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment