I'm kind of not enjoying the baby right now.
(For those inclined to fret or jump to the conclusion that I'm in some sort of adoption-attachment crisis, don't worry. I love my kids, but there are plenty of times when I don't enjoy them!)
Mira has suddenly entered a rather exhausting phase that goes like this:
FRANTIC: Pick me up!
SQUIRM, TWIST, BACKBEND: Put me down!
FLOP DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND THROW HER FACE INTO MY SHOES: Pick me up!
ARCH BACK: Put me down!
(repeat)
Accompanying this new "dissatisfied wiggly eel" behavior is the yelling. If she wants anything, she yells. She's a bit young for us to say, "Use your words" - although she does have a word now. It's dog. ("Da!" See? Brilliant). I remember the older kids doing the same yelling thing, but I can't remember what we did to deal with it. (Aggravating, sieve-like memory of mine. I probably had some really great strategy that taught 10-month-olds not to yell but I can't remember it now).
I would have never admitted publicly that I didn't enjoy Ethan's babyhood (colicky, gassy, sleepless Ethan) because I felt too guilty. Three kids later, my Mommy Guilt has significantly diminished and I have learned that all kids go through not-fun phases (at least, all of my kids!) You grit your teeth and then the phase passes.
I think big developmental milestones are often preceded by challenging behavior. In Mira's case, she has started to stand without holding on to anything and is really wanting to walk. (Already she seems like so many youngest children: if her older siblings are doing it, she wants to do it. And they're all walking). She is also "talking" - pointing at objects and declaring meaningful phrases like "Ah-ba-dah!" If only we could crack the code.
So, when she's crabby/challenging/needy/however you want to say it, there's not much to do except shake my head and try to breathe deeply. Or better, thrust her at Randy, saying "Here!"
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jules,
Sitota does the same thing! He yells whenever he wants things... which equates to near constant yelling all day. Yelling isn't really a good descriptive, it is more like a high pitched, super loud, squealing/growling. We have dubbed him the Sitotasaurous as he sounds like a very large dinosaur when he does it. Lets just hope they grow out of this soon!
Post a Comment