Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Longest Day (or, A Visit to the Doctor)

Mira had her first medical appointment here in the US. This thorough examination involved everything from vaccinations to skin scrutiny to stool samples - and a blood draw that seemed to last 25 minutes. When you're newly arrived from Africa, there are lots of exciting conditions and parasites to test you for! The entire experience lasted just under three hours.

Having a baby at the doctor for three hours is never fun. I didn't want to set her down on the germy floor, and there's only so much baby entertainment you can provide on your lap before you resort to opening the jar of tongue depressors and letting her play with them. Luckily, I happened to bring Abby because I wanted the doctor to look at her foot. I wasn't thinking she'd miss almost a full day of school when all was said and done, but thank goodness she was there as a second pair of arms! Also, she timed the blood draw on her watch (why? I don't know. Because she's Abby) and was able to correct my conviction that it took an eternity. (Actual time: 1:42. I think I was particularly interested in this fact because the blood draw culminated in Mira crying so hard that she threw up all over me.)

The good (great) news is that Mirabelle is thriving! At 15.7 pounds she is on the US growth charts for weight (10-20%). Her length and head circumference also look good. Her development is consistent with a seven- to eight-month-old, and her skin is healthy. The only real issue was an ear infection.

Her tests will reveal whether she is caught up on vaccinations, and confirm that she doesn't have any African "tummy issues." Then it's just the normal baby visits (and shots).

1 comment:

Tracy and Jason Fine said...

Hello,

I am a waiting adoptive parent. Your stories are so helpful! My husband and I are wondering when we should start looking for a pediatrician. We are told it will be 12 months until a possible referral, but would like to know when other folks started looking for doctors during the wait time. We are in New York City. Any advice will help. Thanks so much!