Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Season of Silver Linings

I am not much of a blogger during times of stress, which explains why I haven't done a post since August. Folks, it has been a rocky road (and not the ice cream kind), and the uphill journey continues. Oh, the struggles, stories and facts I could share about pediatric mental health! but this isn't that type of blog, so I will leave it at that.

But the truth is that autumn hasn't been all bad. In many ways, it's been a wonderful season of kids growing and changing and achieving and wow-ing me. Instead of writing tonight I will share some pictures that capture some of the "silver linings" we have enjoyed. (And if I go a little overboard in celebrating the kids' stuff, please - give me a pass this time. It's been important to focus on the positives lately.)

Mira Rules the School twice a day this year - preschool and speech class (the latter is helping her articulation but doesn't always prevent her from saying things like "bub-wack" for "back rub").

Jam session. Ethan made the top jazz band, and performed in the pit orchestra for the school musical. Meanwhile, I have learned the important fact that if you play a "blowing instrument" you don't refer to your mouth as your mouth; it's your "chops."

Scarecrow Walk at the Landscape Arboretum prior to seeing "Hairspray" with Mom and Melissa

Ethan's soccer team was really fun to watch. They finished 9-1-1, and Ethan learned a few Karen phrases along the way from all his Burmese teammates.

Abby made varsity as an eighth grader and quickly became a starter. I'm not going to lie, the whole experience of seeing Abby improve tremendously and get tons of attention because she was so young, was really fun for Randy and me! Oh, and she loved it too.

Abby was awarded Rookie of the Year

Loungin' in the Patch

We went to a Halloween party as the Ingalls. Abby looked great as Laura, but she was not interested in being photographed in a dress - especially a ruffle-sleeved prairie frock like the one I found her! (Randy as Pa, Mira as Baby Carrie, me as Ma and Gracie as Nellie)

More Halloween...




1 comment:

shana said...

Tough parenting stinks. You guys are doing a great job and my children's mental health kiddo sure appreciates your children's mental health kiddo, if that's any consolation! hang in there. I'll pray you have a great week this week!
shana