Tuesday, January 11, 2011

2010... and beyond

I've been finding blogging a bit challenging. Oh, there's plenty going on in my addled little brain, as we feel life being defined daily by that certain stressor, but I am mostly sticking to my earlier conviction that I shouldn't detail it here in my blog. Meanwhile, I think the stress is causing life to seem less like a sitcom to me than it usually does. The result? Dull thinking. I'm a bit of a dullard these days.

Reflections on 2010

In some ways, 2010 was a stressful year – but in every way that it was challenging (periodic job frustration, financial strain, ear-splitting mega-tantrums, and most of all, major anxiety issues with a certain child), it could’ve been much worse. Meaning I feel guilty even acknowledging these issues as “issues,” because we are grateful to be employed, reminded that although we may not be wealthy compared to our neighbors, as middle-class Americans we are in like the top 99% of wealth in the world (and can keep our perennially starving teenaged boy fed). Most importantly of all, we are healthy.

So it feels selfish to hope for an easier 2011. (And really, if we could just bid Worry adieu, I would be happy to snuggle right up to our other stresses – really!) But I’ll be honest: I am hoping for an easier next year. Deep down I am hoping a friend’s recent Facebook post will ring true for us: “2011 is going to kick 2010’s butt!”

The year 2010 certainly did bring its share of joy, including more special "kid moments" than I can count, and a wonderful reunion with Randy's side at my niece's wedding. Most recently, my brand-spanking new nephew, Hendrik, was born. (You may recall that in my mind he was going to be a girl, born on the very awesome birthdate of 1-1-11. Not so - the little man defied his auntie's prediction, arriving two weeks early, in the form of a fine boy. Ah well, I adore him anyway!) I had the privilege of being present at his birth. Witnessing someone you love bring a child whom you will also love into the world is amazing beyond words. Well - here are some words: it's all the magic of childbirth without the excruciating labor. I cannot get enough of the little man.

Here is Hendrik, as well as some Christmas photos of my clan and my niece and nephew, Olivia and Luke. Christmas, incidentally, was wonderful, despite being bookended by severe hives (Gracie on the 23rd) and stomach flu (Gracie and Abby on the 26th)

Jedi baby Hendrik
Mira got a play kitchen from Santa
New jammies
Grandma and Baby H.
Everyone loves the little dude
Really - don't trouble yourself for the sake of the photo, son!
Or you, little imp!


2 comments:

shana said...

That is one of the cutest babies ever (and I've seen some pretty cute ones in my day, let me tell ya!) How fun that you got to be there when he was born, that's wonderful!

Unknown said...

Aww- I like that my labor and Hendrik's birth made your blog! I'm so glad you were there. And I hope that your 2011 kicks 2010 out of the park. Love, m