Friday, January 16, 2009

In less than a week - Is that possible?

One week from today we will have held Mirabelle. I cannot wrap my brain around that! It’s been such a long wait – we can’t be this close, can we? But finally we are!

I try to imagine what she will be like, but the truth is I really can’t. I am merely picturing her face from the few photos we have of her. But in this way, she is similar to her three siblings. I never could imagine what they would be like, either, until I actually held them.

We are so excited, as well as nervous, about this tremendous change. We can't wait to bring Mirabelle home forever! We also expect that the road might be a little rocky at times, as other adoptive families have shared with us their challenges during the transition home. Of course, no matter what their challenges, they all say, “I can’t even imagine life without (him or her) now!”

We did imagine life without her, when we did some serious soul-searching several years ago before we started the adoption process. We both felt strongly that someone was missing from our family. That’s how we knew that moving ahead with adoption was right for us.

We leave in 5 days, and most of my mental energy is still devoted to preparations for the trip – my perpetual to-do list! – as it has been for the last two weeks. But more and more, as the day grows closer, my "to-do" thoughts are constantly punctuated with anticipation of meeting Mirabelle.

1 comment:

shana said...

Alrighty, Ing just sent me your blog link. YEAH! I'm just so excited for you guys. Have a great trip and a wonderful time meeting Mirabelle. We were with a couple in the Philippines when they met their little guy for the first time and so I have a tiny, little glimpse into what it's like. We'll be praying that all goes smoothly here in MN for your big kids and on your trip with the little one.
Blessings,
Shana, Kirby, Jacob, Rebekah, Lydia, Joe and Mirabelle's friend Anna!